PUCRS ranked higher than reference institutions from Europe
PUCRS’ Law School arbitration team rose to prominence in a moot courts international competition. Held at Suffolk University, in Boston (USA), the event FDI Moot brought together 114 teams from institutions from all over the world for the global orals stage, in which the group formed by students Andrea Bodanese, Fernanda Milnitsky, Laura Ziegler Meirelles and Graciana Scarpellini Campos as well as alumnus Athenais Linhares Moreira ranked 28th. Contestants are now getting ready for the 25th Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot, whose oral hearings will take place in March 2018, in Vienna (Austria).
About moot courts
Since 2013 the group has played an active role in the main national and international moot courts competitions. In these competitions, contestants simulate legal disputes in a hypothetical case specifically designed for the event. The group will then carry out a solid investigation of about 6 months in order to justify its arguments, which will be presented in two different stages: memoirs and global orals. Prominent national and international jurists serve as evaluators. In 2016, the team got into mediation and negotiation competitions, which involve simulated cases intended for self-mediation.
Among the achievements of the Law School arbitration team are:
– Winner of the Petrônio Muniz Brazilian Competition of Arbitration, in 2014;
– 21st (among 298 teams all over the world) in the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot, in Vienna (Austria), in 2015;
– Winner of the Petrônio Muniz Brazilian Competition of Business Arbitration, in 2016;
– 4th in the memorial for respondent (among 59 teams from all over the world) in the Foreign Direct Investment International Arbitration Moot (FDI Moot), in Buenos Aires (Argentina), in 2016;
– 2nd best negotiation plan and 3rd memorial for respondent of the Brazilian Competition of Arbitration and Business Mediation – Camarb, in 2017.